10.03.2014

King & Prince: A Storied Castle Makeover

The King & Prince Beach and Golf Resort holds some pretty special memories for me. My husband’s family has been vacationing on the south Georgia island, St. Simons, for generations and I have joined them on those beach trips for about 15 years now. Before its renovation, the King & Prince was known for its year-round indoor pool, which my (now) husband and I snuck into on many occasions! Almost nine years ago, Brad proposed to me at the King & Prince while we spent a picture-perfect weekend there.

This past year the resort underwent a $7 million dollar renovation and I have to say, job well done! 


The indoor pool is gone, but so is the constant smell of chlorine. The entire main floor of the historic hotel building has been transformed. The design still pays homage to the resort’s original Mediterranean aesthetic, but gives it an updated and elegant feel. The entire space was also reoriented giving the ocean view the prominence it has always deserved.  

The resort added a much-needed restaurant and bar, Echo, which serves seafood (what else?!) and overlooks the pool. I think its quite a handsome space.





St. Simons Island itself is full of history and the King & Prince is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a member of the Historic Hotels of America. I knew all of that, but I didn’t know how interesting the history of the hotel actually is. It was founded in 1935 by two drunken practical jokers that were kicked out of neighboring Sea Island’s exclusive Cloister Hotel. The regal-sounding name came from their nicknames – one short and fat and one tall and skinny: The King & Prince. For more about the hotel’s history, check out this great article.



I can’t wait to see it all for myself this Christmas!

- CMD

No comments:

Post a Comment